Sunday 14 October 2012

Indiana Chip and Detective Teddy: Afterword


So ends the first adventure of Indiana Chip and Detective Ted. The ending was clearly stolen from the conclusion of Empire Strikes Back (though in that one Darth Vader wasn't encased in carbonite) but giving ten year-old me a set-up for the sequel.



This is all that exists that hints at such a story - I don’t recall much of what happened in it, but I’ll list what little I do remember:

 -The Rocket T-Rex 2: The Sequel was completed. It was twice as large and the superlaser was attached to the underside.
 -The frozen T-Rex was rescued by a special forces team comprised of elite Raptor soldiers who had guns at the end of their tails. Really.
 - During his absence the Empire replaced him with a new Emperor - a Gigantosaurus, I believe. The T-Rex was surprisingly fine with this.
 -Chip’s “rebel” group was expanded further. I don’t recall any of the new additions beyond Scruff, a very adorable soft toy dog.
 - The village everyone lived in was attacked and destroyed by the Rocket T-Rex, now renamed to (of course) the Death Rex.
 - I think, but am not too sure, that Snaky was killed.
 - Ted was rescued. I don’t recall when in the story this occurred.
 - It is possible Chip got married. This makes me slightly pleased I can’t find the other stories - seeing how ten (eleven?) year-old me wrote relationships would have been incredibly embarrassing. Seeing twenty-eight year-old me create a relationship would be embarrassing!
 - There were indestructible robots introduced - they provided a new threat once the dinosaurs were eventually defeated.
 - The kitten was never mentioned again.

How many Indiana Chip stories there were before I got bored, I don’t recall. I would guess at least three, as I know the robot army appeared at the start of a book - possibly part three or part four.

Reading back ’In the Case of the Missing Kitten’ was very entertaining. It’s cute to see how original and silly the story began before the halfway mark, when Sonic and Star Wars references start popping up. I know it got worse for the second story, as I remember my cousin berating me for making it far too unoriginal and that she was bored of the Star Wars stuff. It was a very simple lesson on trying to make up stories for myself, though I never really got that good at it.

And the writing! At the time I thought I was a bloody genius with writing and very proud of my punctuation and grammar. Writing it into the blog as accurately as possible was a bloody pain - I even tried to ‘clean it up’ if I thought I could get away with it, hence why some of the later chapters have paragraphs that start without intents. And why so many commas? Was I frightened that if I used a period the reader would realise the sentence was over, get bored and go home? And some of the spelling as well! There are folk I know who ask me to correct them if they get the English language wrong, I dearly hope they don't read this story.

This story has been fun to go through and put online, even if it got a bit painful to read sometimes. It was nice to see the creative links between myself and ten year-old me. He gave me a nice insight into the way I used to write and draw, and maybe that I should think back to that in the future. I am, however, going to disown him and refuse to acknowledge he existed.

But to end it all, here is a final picture from Indiana Chip himself. When my parents bought him for me it was in Disneyworld, Florida. Later on during the same holiday, and I don’t recall the exact details here, but I believe there was some sort of evening barbeque held by Disneyworld. At any rate it had their characters (well…costumed staff, I suppose, but let me keep my dreams) walking around entertaining the kids. I ran up to the person dressed as Chip and asked them to sign my Chip soft toy. Given the size of their gloves and presumably limited vision, I am to this day impressed the person inside could manage to manipulate a pen well enough to give a most lovely signature on top of Chip’s hat. Slightly weakened by age and poor camera work, but it's a heart, the name, and chipmunk teeth.


No I don't know why he has a CCCP badge on his hat. He is 18 years old, he must be going through his communist phase.

The End.

2 comments: