Sunday 28 October 2012

An Inkling I Can Paint: Part One


 Several months ago I decided to give an attempt at painting. I bought a watercolour set and made a brief attempt at using it. It did not work out, and I locked it away (well, hid it at the back of a shelf) until a week ago.

  In need of a distraction, and wishing to expand some skills, I dug it out again and began fooling around. I rather enjoyed it all, and so spent much of my spare time trying to get the hang of it. As such, most of my pictures were less 'try to paint well' and more 'learn to bloody paint'.


 This one started it, and it's not even a painting. I just got very drunk, grabbed a brush and my indian ink pot and started doodling. In the end the response was deserved - completely misinterpreted. It was well liked, but I think most people believe he's holding a sword. It's supposed to be a cane.

I sobered up for the rest.


The eyes are terrifying. They're both wrong and they're both looking the wrong way. However this was my first attempt at drawing someone, and it was an attempt at drawing someone without pre-sketching or preparation. I just started painting with brush and ink, and I think it came out fairly well, given the subject matter.

Wuv to Greg.


  Bloody simple stuff, but I liked them and it gave me a bit of confidence in using watercolours.


  For a tabletop role-playing game I'm doing. I felt like painting my character as I felt that it would give me a bit more insight and a bit more thought into him. It worked. May have altered my perception of how I originally thought of the character, but still, he's visualised: Miromoto Isoroku.

  For faults: swords are wrong but I don't mind that. Blotchiness on the colours was poor form on my part - you need to be careful with brushstrokes, it seems. And it is probably bloody obvious to all, but you start with lighter colours first, then dark. Not the other way round.

Hmph.


  A progression of images. I like the second and fifth ones best. After the third picture I got scared and had to hide the watercolours away a bit, I did the same after the sixth. I can do more but I think it might be best I just leave it and start again.

  They're not spectacular, but they helped give me a bit of help into how to mix colours. Given the original subject matter, all colours are completely wrong and I could do better - I cannot do her justice.  I am still pretty bloody happy with how this came out as a first-week effort.




  And a last pair. Just randomly drawn with indian ink. Neither looks right, but I like the use of ink as a painting tool. It came out of nowhere, it shall be used in future.




1 comment:

  1. The progression is great to see. Mirimoto Isoroku is still fantastic, and the paintings of the girl are wonderful.

    And I think most pleasingly, they're all very 'Phil'.

    ReplyDelete